What are risks of diseased heart valves?

Diseased heart valves may cause shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness, fainting, swelling, palpitations, and chest tightness. Cardiothoracic surgeons can replace or repair heart valves to relieve symptoms and prolong life.

The major risk of diseased heart valves is that the heart muscle has to work harder and eventually gets weaker.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Be Apprehensive About Heart Health Apps
Be Apprehensive About Heart Health Apps
We know you wouldn’t buy the Brooklyn Bridge—although many folks have believed they did! Around 1900 con man, George C. Parker sold it over and over (...
How can I lower my risk for cardiovascular disease?
Dr. Richard T. Leshner, DODr. Richard T. Leshner, DO
To lower your risk for cardiovascular disease, the first things you can do are diet, exercise and do...
What is coronary microvascular disease (MVD)?
Also known as cardiac syndrome X or small vessel disease, microvascular disease is a disease of the ...
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is an Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery?