How can I lower my risk for cardiovascular disease?

Dr. Richard T. Leshner, DO
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

To lower your risk for cardiovascular disease, the first things you can do are diet, exercise and don’t smoke. Next, see your healthcare provider to go over the risk factors for heart disease that are a danger to you, such as high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol. Your healthcare provider can help modify these kinds of things to lower your risk of heart disease.

Cardiovascular disease remains the number one cause of death in the United States, and maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen helps decrease your risk for strokes and heart attacks that can be debilitating, if not fatal. Keep in mind that the greatest impact that you can make on your cardiovascular risk is to not smoke tobacco.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Work Hard, Play Hard Dangers
Work Hard, Play Hard Dangers
In the TV show Mad Men, “work hard, play hard” is touted as a virtue. Yet the characters are, well, slightly mad, an...
What are the potential outcomes of heart catheterization?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
There are three potential outcomes after a heart catheterization: Very little plaque buildup, or ...
How does the health of my arteries affect the way I age?
When it comes to aging, the single most important part of your body is your arteries. When your arte...
How Does a Person Get a Hole in Their Heart?