Will I become crippled if I have fibromyalgia?

People with fibromyalgia do not become crippled with the condition, nor is there any evidence that it affects their lifespan. Nevertheless, due to varying levels of pain and fatigue, there is an inevitable contraction of social, vocational and avocational activities that leads to a reduced quality of life. As with many chronic diseases, the extent to which people succumb to the various effects of pain and fatigue are dependent upon numerous factors, in particular their psychosocial support, financial status, childhood experiences, sense of humor and determination to push on.

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

Taking Opioids May Not Provide Better Function for Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be hard to manage, but there are smart ways to deal with it. A randomized clinical trial looked at 240 patients from a VA hospital wh...
How does chronic pain cause anxiety in women?
Dr. Howard S. SmithDr. Howard S. Smith
Most women with chronic pain live in a constant state of anxiety and fear. Not only is the pain frig...
How often should I do exercises for chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
When you have a chronic pain condition, one repetition of an exercise each day will not fix it. You ...
Is It True That We Don't Manage Pain Very Well?