Will I become crippled if I have fibromyalgia?

People with fibromyalgia do not become crippled with the condition, nor is there any evidence that it affects their lifespan. Nevertheless, due to varying levels of pain and fatigue, there is an inevitable contraction of social, vocational and avocational activities that leads to a reduced quality of life. As with many chronic diseases, the extent to which people succumb to the various effects of pain and fatigue are dependent upon numerous factors, in particular their psychosocial support, financial status, childhood experiences, sense of humor and determination to push on.

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

Use Your Brain to Relieve Pain
Use Your Brain to Relieve Pain
If you're among the tens of millions of North Americans living with chronic pain, we've got news about a drug-free "om remedy" worth trying: easy medi...
Who is a candidate for a StimRouter?
Dr. William P. McRoberts, MDDr. William P. McRoberts, MD
A candidate for a StimRouter is first and foremost any stroke patient who has shoulder pain. Additio...
What is the StimRouter?
The StimRouter is a small, thin wire that is implanted with a needle in the shoulder next to the axi...
Are Over-The-Counter Painkillers Effective for Chronic Pain?