How can exercise contribute to chronic neck and back pain?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
Investigating the source of your pain may take you right to the core of what you most love to do. I hope you know how important daily exercise is, but ironically, there is only one thing harder than getting people to start exercising, and that is trying to get avid or extreme exercisers to slow down. A three-times-a-week singles tennis player would rather endure chronic neck and upper back pain from serves and overheads before ever considering playing doubles once a week. Most golfers would do anything to take a few strokes off their game, but ask them to not play for two weeks and you'll see grown men and women start to beg like children. But the most passionate of all physical exercise enthusiasts are the self-proclaimed gym and road rats. These are the people who believe that without extensive exercise, they will suddenly shrink into oblivion, or that their exercise "high" is the mandatory spiritual equivalent of daily prayer. Getting them to stop or slow down is almost impossible. Repetitive stress and strain can contribute to chronic pain, and they can come from anything you do regularly, exercise included. Too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing when it causes or prolongs your pain.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

It's All in Your Head
It's All in Your Head
Do you wait it out when throbbing headaches sideline you from your social calendar? You're not alone on the bench. Research shows that about 25 perce...
How can the way I move cause me chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Most chronic pain is the result of years of poor movement habits -- habits that have taken on the gu...
9 Ways Chronic Pain Impacts Quality of Life
9 Ways Chronic Pain Impacts Quality of Life9 Ways Chronic Pain Impacts Quality of Life9 Ways Chronic Pain Impacts Quality of Life9 Ways Chronic Pain Impacts Quality of Life
Minimize the emotional problems and physical discomfort caused by chronic pain.
What Are the Best Strategies to Reduce Stress And Relieve Pain?