How does chronic pain affect my health?

Dr. Kelly Traver
Internist

Chronic pain is a subject that deserves more attention than it gets. The brain and body are highly interconnected, and when people have chronic pain, there is a lot of interplay in several areas of health. Chronic pain activates the brain's stress center. This can result in the depletion of certain neurotransmitters, causing depression or anxiety to develop. Depression, in turn, makes the pain even more intense that may result in sleep disruption. Sleep disruption, in turn, can intensify the pain and worsen mood issues. Sleep is also important for repairing all wear and tear that goes on in your body daily. Sleep is necessary for keeping your immune system strong so that it can fight off infections and even prevent cancer.

Chronic pain can be depressing and exhausting, which can trigger other health problems. Chronic pain can have an effect on a person's whole wellness.

When you have chronic pain, it affects your health in other ways besides feeling pain. It stops you from sleeping and makes you tired. It makes it harder to do the things you normally like to do. All these things can make you feel fed up and angry.

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

"Sometimes You Have to Live with It" and Other Pain Myths
For persistent pain like the stuff that comes with migraines, arthritis, and back trouble, what you don't know might be hurting you. Let's clear up so...
How often should I do exercises for chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
When you have a chronic pain condition, one repetition of an exercise each day will not fix it. You ...
How can I commit myself to treating my chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Solidify your ideas and support your intention to heal by talking to friends or family or writing do...
How Soon Can Stem-Cell Therapy Be Used to Treat My Pain?