What happens during a trigger point injection procedure?

Trigger point injections can be done in a doctor's office. The actual injection takes only a few minutes, but plan on 30 to 60 minutes for the whole procedure. You will remain awake and able to communicate the entire time. These steps will be part of your procedure:

• Position. Depending on where you will have the injection, you will be sitting or lying down.
  • Numbing the skin. You may be given a local anesthetic near the injection site so you don't feel the trigger point injection.
  • Injection. A small needle will be inserted into the trigger point. The injection will contain a local anesthetic that sometimes includes a corticosteroid to reduce inflammation. If you are allergic to the medication, a dry-needle technique (involving no medications) can be used.
  • Brief pain. The injection may cause some pain that can last from a few seconds to a few minutes.
  • Pain relief. The injection will allow the trigger point to relax, and the pain should go away.
  • Additional injections. Several sites may be injected in one visit.

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain Treatment

Pain Relief from Dietary Omega-3s
Pain Relief from Dietary Omega-3s
When comedian Joan Rivers commented on her emotional wounds and worries, the world laughed: “I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toy...
What are some effective exercises for chronic back pain?
Sue HitzmannSue Hitzmann
An effective exercise for chronic structural or muscular back pain is the single leg stance, which h...
How can I relieve my chronic pain?
Chronic pain can be effectively treated with the right therapies. In this video, Dr. Oz and his expe...
Sue Hitzmann's Pain-Melting Workout
Sue Hitzmann's Pain-Melting Workout