What can I do to prevent chronic pain?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

Years of clinical research and treating patients have shown that the key to preventing pain is a four-pronged approach that involves the following steps:

Step l. Lose weight
Step 2. Exercise daily
Step 3. Control your stress
Step 4. Get quality sleep

Patients who follow this 4-step program are the ones who need less medication, are able to be as active as they want, and experience fewer problems with sleep, anxiety, or fatigue when compared with other overweight or obese patients with pain. To the contrary, pain patients who are overweight and eat an animal-based diet with few anti-inflammatory foods, who keep erratic hours at night with little sleep and maintain a sedentary, high-stressed lifestyle, are the ones who call the doctor frequently, complaining of poor pain control and feelings of achiness, fatigue, insomnia, and depression.

Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain Prevention

How do I manage my postherpetic neuralgia on a daily basis?
Managing your postherpetic neuralgia on a daily basis can be tough. You will need to work with your ...
How can I manage chronic pain?
David A. Hanscom, MDDavid A. Hanscom, MD
Sleep is imperative to managing and reversing chronic pain; lack of sleep changes the perception of ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?
Relieve Chronic Pain With Massage and More