What are structural diagnoses of chronic back pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
I typically see back problems such as herniated or bulging disks, spinal stenosis, arthritis, facet syndromes, and others. I call these structural diagnoses because they describe a physical problem that can be seen on an MRI or other scan. Because these physical problems can be seen with a scan, the conclusion is that the structural damage is the cause of your pain.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain Diagnosis

How is postherpetic neuralgia diagnosed?
Doctors can easily diagnose postherpetic neuralgia based on your symptoms and a quick review of your...
How is chronic musculoskeletal pain (CMP) diagnosed?
Figuring out what triggered your chronic musculoskeletal pain (CMP) in the first place is one potent...
Should I see a doctor about my postherpetic neuralgia symptoms?
If you believe you are experiencing symptoms of postherpetic neuralgia, it is a good idea to see a d...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?