When should I see the doctor for fatigue?

If you have fatigue, call or go to the doctor or clinic for:
  • Weakness or tiredness that lasts 2 weeks for no reason, especially with fever or weight loss
  • Weakness or tiredness with constipation
  • Weakness or tiredness with dry skin or weight gain
  • Sleep problems: waking up many times in the night, or not being able to sleep
  • Weakness or tiredness with headaches
  • Feeling down or sad, or not being able to enjoy the things you used to

Fatigue is one of the most common medical complaints in America. Many people feel that they don't have energy, or don't feel like doing anything for a period of several weeks or months. If it's something that you feel is a problem, and it affects your day-to-day life, it is highly recommended that you go to your doctor and discuss it.

Many of the most common causes of fatigue can be treated simply and successfully. It could be as simple as improving your sleep habits or nutrition. Or, you might need a medication to restore a hormone or nutrient level. These treatments can have dramatically positive effects on your life and return you to doing activities you've previously enjoyed, whether it's bike riding, golfing or playing with your children or grandchildren.

Fatigue can be a symptom of an underlying medical or psychiatric disorder. Many medical and psychiatric conditions can be associated with fatigue, including heart disease, pregnancy, diabetes and anxiety. Therefore, you need a thorough medical and psychiatric examination to determine the cause.

Dr. Shawn Talbott, PhD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Nutrition, exhaustion and supplement specialist Dr. Shawn Talbott discusses when you should see a doctor if you are suffering from fatigue. Watch Dr. Talbott's video for tips and information on nutritional supplements.

Continue Learning about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

New Diagnostic Tool for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) affects 1 million North Americans (mostly women 40- 60) and leaves victims fatigued a...
What is chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) describes a medical condition that involves severe fatigue lastin...
How can I deal with fatique if I'm a young woman?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Young women are often completely exhausted and have no idea why. Fortunately, as Dr. Robin Miller ...
To Cope With Fatigue, Give Into It
To Cope With Fatigue, Give Into It