What is chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)?

CFS shares symptoms with a number of other conditions including diabetes, thyroid disease, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. The disease was not so long ago dismissed as the "yuppie flu," but it has gradually gained legitimacy and is now accepted as an established diagnosis. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) developed a set of diagnostic criteria in 1994, and the agency has started tracking cases and reports that as many as 4 million Americans suffer from CFS.

Continue Learning about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

What is fatigue?
Heidi Skolnik, MSHeidi Skolnik, MS
Sports medicine and nutrition specialist Heidi Skolnik explains the concept of fatigue. Watch Heid...
How common is chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)?
Studies show that anywhere between one and four million people in the United States currently meet t...
How can I deal with fatique if I'm a young woman?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Young women are often completely exhausted and have no idea why. Fortunately, as Dr. Robin Miller ...
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue