Why do chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) symptoms increase after exercise?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Researchers at the Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy in Belgium reported increases in both fatigue and pain after a walking exercise in people with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Furthermore, pain increase was also still noted 24 hours after exercise. Although exercise is typically expected to increase the levels of pain-relieving chemicals, such as endorphins, in healthy individuals, research by Whiteside and colleagues showed that pain thresholds actually decreased with exercise in people with chronic fatigue. This study suggests that these people have an abnormal biological response to exercise, resulting in increased perceptions of and sensitivity to pain and fatigue and, consequently, symptoms such as post-exertional malaise or fatigue.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Symptoms

What is causing me to feel so tired?
We all know what happens when there's an energy crisis: There's chaos. Think back to the long lines ...
What are some symptoms of fatigue?
Marcelle PickMarcelle Pick
Fatigue isn't the same as just being sleepy. Nurse practitioner Marcelle Pick describes common f...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms?
Although the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome are often difficult to pinpoint, they can have a s...
What Are Some Symptoms of Fatigue?
What Are Some Symptoms of Fatigue?