Is leaky gut syndrome associated with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
I have found Leaky Gut Syndrome (a condition in which there's an abnormal increase in the permeability of the small intestine) especially relevant for many people with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Scientific research connects Leaky Gut Syndrome with chronic fatigue and depression. Recent research from Belgium confirms my observations about Leaky Gut Syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome and suggests a treatment plan that can alleviate chronic fatigue and also major depression.

The Belgian researchers found that people in their study with either chronic fatigue syndrome or major depressive disorder showed laboratory evidence of Leaky Gut Syndrome, when compared to a healthy control group.

More importantly, they demonstrated that treatment with diet and specific nutrients not only reversed laboratory signs of the Leaky Gut Syndrome, but also improved symptoms of fatigue, malaise and depression.

Continue Learning about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Causes & Risks

What increases my risk for chronic fatigue syndrome?
Because the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome are not identified, it is not possible to determine e...
Can chronic fatigue syndrome have any complications?
If the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome are unrecognized, it is unlikely that they will be well-...
What is the connection between chronic fatigue syndrome and lactate?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
People with CFS may have higher levels of lactate. "Chronic fatigue syndrome often develops on the h...
How do other illnesses affect chronic fatigue syndrome?
There are many diseases which can cause extreme fatigue found in chronic fatigue syndrome, some of w...