Which sunscreens can claim to prevent skin cancer?

According to guidelines released in 2011 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), a sunscreen can claim to prevent skin cancer if it has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher and offers broad-spectrum protection against both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays as proven by a standardized test.

A broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF lower than 15 must carry a warning that it does not protect against early skin aging or skin cancer.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You
It’s that sunscreen time of year, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with so many options to choose from, it’s easy to...
Is tanning oil bad for me?
Tanning oils are innocuous in and of themselves and are not bad for you unless you are allergic to t...
What does the broad-spectrum sun block label mean?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Sunscreen labels can be confusing. In this video, dermatologist Dr. Ellen Marmur defines tricky term...
Does a Higher SPF in Sunscreen Mean I'm Better Protected?