What type of sunscreen should I use if I have oily skin?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
No skin care routine is complete without sunscreen. I have my personal bias as I have been plagued throughout my life with oily skin. While I have found that there are innumerable sunscreens on the market labeled as oil-free, or lightweight, none were equal to the challenge of my skin. Look for those containing oil-reducing polymers which soak up only the excessive skin oils. They mattify without leaving your skin dry or irritated (meaning they are ideal for any and all skin types). And make certain your sun protection is labeled broad spectrum (ultraviolet-A [UVA] and ultraviolet-B [UVB]), and use a minimum of sun protection factor (SPF) 30.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You
It’s that sunscreen time of year, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with so many options to choose from, it’s easy to...
Is retinyl palmitate a safe ingredient in sunscreens?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Retinyl palmitate is an ingredient composed of palmitic acid and retinol (Vitamin A). Retinols are a...
Do all sunscreens protect against UV (ultraviolet) rays?
There are two kinds of ultraviolet or UV rays, UVA and UVB, which can cause sunburn and skin damage....
SPF
SPF