How effective are water resistant sunscreens?

Amy K. Kim, MD
Dermatology
Water resistant sunscreens are just as good. I think they got a little bit stricter with labels for water resistant because people, again, were not reapplying. In general, a lot of the water resistant sunscreens can give you about 60-80 minutes in the water. What you have to look for in those products, because they are water resistant, they tend to feel a little more greasy and ointment based. They work just as well, but the cosmetic feeling might not be as appealing to the consumer.

Continue Learning about Choosing The Right Sunscreen

How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for You in Hawaii
Sunscreen is a good idea all year round in Hawaii, and you know it’s important to lotion up to protect your skin. But with the passage of SB2571, Hawa...
How should I choose a sunscreen for my child?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
When selecting sunscreens to use on your child, be sure to choose one that is SPF 15 or higher, ...
What kind of sunscreen should a swimmer get?
Sunscreen manufacturers are no longer allowed to called their products waterproof, but that does...
What Should I Know About Using Sunscreen If I Have Psoriasis?