Where can I look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN)?

To look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), internet sites that provide basic information on doctors in your area are a good source. Some sites include: healthgrades.com; yelp.com.

You could also ask around for recommendations. An excellent source of referral is a trustworthy medical professional. Consider asking friends and family members who they see and if they recommend the doctor.

Pregnancy can be financially trying. Make sure the doctor you are considering is in your network of providers. Talk to your insurance provider. If it is a requirement for your insurance coverage to see someone in your network, you may want to narrow your list to include only doctors in your network.

The doctor’s office as well as the hospital facility where the doctor delivers should be included in your decision. You will visit the doctor’s office several times and you may need to get to the hospital quickly. Therefore, the locations should be convenient to your job and home. In addition, you should feel comfortable in both settings. Assess the friendliness of the office staff. Get to know the hospital; ask about availability of tours to the labor and delivery unit.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Choosing A Practitioner & Pregnancy

Who are maternal-fetal medicine physicians?
Megan BorgnaMegan Borgna
Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians are specialists in the OB-GYN field. They receive 3 additional ye...
When should I call my doctor during pregnancy?
Wayne R. Young, MDWayne R. Young, MD
If you're in your first trimester, you should contact your physician on a number of occasions be...
How do I choose the right OBGYN?
One of the best ways to find an OB/GYN is to talk, talk, talk. Ask your friends, ask neighbors, ask ...
What questions should I ask when choosing an obstetrician?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The important thing when choosing an obstetrician is that the patient feels comfortable with her doc...