Where can I look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN)?

To look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), internet sites that provide basic information on doctors in your area are a good source. Some sites include: healthgrades.com; yelp.com.

You could also ask around for recommendations. An excellent source of referral is a trustworthy medical professional. Consider asking friends and family members who they see and if they recommend the doctor.

Pregnancy can be financially trying. Make sure the doctor you are considering is in your network of providers. Talk to your insurance provider. If it is a requirement for your insurance coverage to see someone in your network, you may want to narrow your list to include only doctors in your network.

The doctor’s office as well as the hospital facility where the doctor delivers should be included in your decision. You will visit the doctor’s office several times and you may need to get to the hospital quickly. Therefore, the locations should be convenient to your job and home. In addition, you should feel comfortable in both settings. Assess the friendliness of the office staff. Get to know the hospital; ask about availability of tours to the labor and delivery unit.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Choosing A Practitioner & Pregnancy

How should I choose a practitioner and a place for my child's birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Choose your birth attendants and place of birth with care, because where you give birth and who atte...
What is a certified nurse-midwife (CNM)?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
A certified nurse-midwife (CNM) is an advanced practice nurse who has specialized education and trai...
Who are maternal-fetal medicine physicians?
Megan BorgnaMegan Borgna
Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians are specialists in the OB-GYN field. They receive 3 additional ye...
What is the midwifery model of maternity care?
The classic midwifery model is based on the assumption that most pregnancies, labors, and births are...