How do I choose the right OBGYN?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

One of the best ways to find an OB/GYN is to talk, talk, talk. Ask your friends, ask neighbors, ask the woman standing in line behind you at the grocery store, and ask the pros (like your internist) for recommendations. You can even call the delivery floor of a hospital and ask nurses and anesthesiologists for their recommendations. Many are more than happy to give them. Once you've narrowed down your choices, make appointments with at least two doctors (yes, we said at least two) and ask them questions that are important to you. Many times, you're not looking for a right or wrong answer. You simply want to follow your gut and find someone whose goals and philosophies match yours.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Dr. Teneisha C. Davis, MD

One of the best methods of finding an Ob/Gyn is word of mouth. Speak to friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Other considerations are board certifications, insurances that are accepted, sex preference and technology that is used. Also remember that what one person may  like or dislike in a physician, may be different for you.

Deborah Davis, DNP
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The following factors should be considered when choosing a OB/GYN:

• Board Certification
  • Insurance Type
  • Word of Mouth
  • Physician Referral
  • Your own instincts
  • Medical Board History Search
  • Technology used
  • Types of surgeries/procedures performed
  • Physician Philosophy
  • Physician Personality
  • Internet Search
  • Male vs Female Doctor
  • Medical Research
  • Languages Spoken

To choose the right obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), consider the following:

Doctor’s personality:

• Is the doctor easy to communicate with?
  • Are things explained in a manner that you understand?
  • Do you feel that your concerns are validated and addressed?

Doctor’s practice outlook:

• Write down any specific concerns about your pregnancy.
  • Find out what the doctor’s outlook is in regards to things that are important for you. For example if you have a specific birth plan such as at home birth or natural birth, find out the doctor’s perspective on this. If you are considering vaginal birth after cesarean section find out if the doctor and hospital would be supportive.

Determine if the doctor’s scope of care meets your specific needs:
If you have special health needs such as diabetes, heart disease or very complicated pregnancy history, find out how much experience the doctor has treating these areas. You may want to ask if the doctor works in conjunction with a maternal fetal specialist (a doctor that specializes in high risk pregnancy).

Once you have narrowed your choices, you may want to interview a few providers and compare notes until you find the one that you feel is the best choice for you. When looking for an OBGYN, a provider with whom you feel safe and relaxed is key to optimizing your pregnancy and childbirth experience.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Choosing A Practitioner & Pregnancy

Why is it important to trust my doctor during pregnancy?
There are a handful of things you can control during labor and delivery - such as who accompanies yo...
What is a certified nurse-midwife (CNM)?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
A certified nurse-midwife (CNM) is an advanced practice nurse who has specialized education and trai...
What kind of healthcare providers care for women during pregnancy?
Melissa TaylorMelissa Taylor
Pregnant women may be cared for by an Obstetrician, a licensed physician educated to care for women ...
What questions should I ask when choosing an obstetrician?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The important thing when choosing an obstetrician is that the patient feels comfortable with her doc...