How do I choose the right OBGYN?

Tessie M. Larrieu, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
In this video, Tessie Larrieu, MD, in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital explains how women should find the right OB physician for them. 

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
To choose the right obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), consider the following:

Doctor’s personality:
  • Is the doctor easy to communicate with?
  • Are things explained in a manner that you understand?
  • Do you feel that your concerns are validated and addressed?
Doctor’s practice outlook:
  • Write down any specific concerns about your pregnancy.
  • Find out what the doctor’s outlook is in regards to things that are important for you. For example if you have a specific birth plan such as at home birth or natural birth, find out the doctor’s perspective on this. If you are considering vaginal birth after cesarean section find out if the doctor and hospital would be supportive.
Determine if the doctor’s scope of care meets your specific needs:

If you have special health needs such as diabetes, heart disease or very complicated pregnancy history, find out how much experience the doctor has treating these areas. You may want to ask if the doctor works in conjunction with a maternal fetal specialist (a doctor that specializes in high risk pregnancy).

Once you have narrowed your choices, you may want to interview a few providers and compare notes until you find the one that you feel is the best choice for you. When looking for an OBGYN, a provider with whom you feel safe and relaxed is key to optimizing your pregnancy and childbirth experience.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/
Teneisha C. Davis, MD
Family Medicine
One of the best methods of finding an Ob/Gyn is word of mouth.  Speak to friends, co-workers, and neighbors.  Other considerations are board certifications, insurances that are accepted, sex preference and technology that is used.  Also remember that what one person may  like or dislike in a physician, may be different for you. 
Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The following factors should be considered when choosing a OB/GYN:
Board Certification; Insurance Type; Word of Mouth; Physician Referral; Your own instincts; Medical Board History Search; Technology used; Types of surgeries/procedures performed; Physician Philosophy; Physician Personality; Internet Search; Male vs Female Doctor; Medical Research; Languages Spoken
One of the best ways to find an OB/GYN is to talk, talk, talk. Ask your friends, ask neighbors, ask the woman standing in line behind you at the grocery store, and ask the pros (like your internist) for recommendations. You can even call the delivery floor of a hospital and ask nurses and anesthesiologists for their recommendations. Many are more than happy to give them. Once you've narrowed down your choices, make appointments with at least two doctors (yes, we said at least two) and ask them questions that are important to you. Many times, you're not looking for a right or wrong answer. You simply want to follow your gut and find someone whose goals and philosophies match yours.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Choosing A Practitioner & Pregnancy

What is the midwifery model of maternity care?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The classic midwifery model is based on the assumption that most pregnancies, labors, and births are...
What is a certified nurse-midwife (CNM)?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
A certified nurse-midwife (CNM) is an advanced practice nurse who has specialized education and trai...
Where can I look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN)?
To look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), internet sites that provide basic information on d...
When should I call my doctor during pregnancy?
Wayne R. Young, MDWayne R. Young, MD
If you're in your first trimester, you should contact your physician on a number of occasions be...