When should I call my doctor during pregnancy?

Wayne R. Young, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you're in your first trimester, you should contact your physician on a number of occasions because nausea and vomiting can be a problem in the first trimester. If you're having severe problems with nausea and vomiting, such that you're unable to keep fluids down, it's appropriate to let your physician know. You can become dehydrated, and you may need to have additional medication or fluids given in order to appropriately stay hydrated. Fortunately that usually resolves between 12 and 14 weeks.

The other reason to contact your provider in the first trimester is if you have heavy bleeding -- you may be having a miscarriage. It is common for mothers in their first trimester to have spotting. Fortunately most of those pregnancies go on to be successful. But if the bleeding is heavy, particularly if it's associated with cramping, your provider needs to know. If the spotting is minimal, it's still probably a good idea to contact your provider and let them know. During their working hours, they'll probably want you to come in and verify that the baby is still doing okay. If for nothing else, for your reassurance.

When you get into the latter part of your pregnancy, when you get past 24 weeks, then you should contact your physician if you have bleeding, if you think your bag of water has broken, or if you're contracting more than just occasionally.

Continue Learning about Choosing A Practitioner & Pregnancy

How should I choose a practitioner and a place for my child's birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Choose your birth attendants and place of birth with care, because where you give birth and who atte...
What questions should I ask when choosing an obstetrician?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The important thing when choosing an obstetrician is that the patient feels comfortable with her doc...
Why is it important to trust my doctor during pregnancy?
There are a handful of things you can control during labor and delivery - such as who accompanies yo...
What to consider when selecting a hospital for giving birth?
If you are considering giving birth in a particular hospital, look at its Website and/or go on a tou...