Why is it risky to have low levels of HDL cholesterol?

A low level of HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol limits the body's ability to protect blood vessels from the damage of LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol and increases the risk of stroke and heart attacks. HDL  cholesterol helps the body metabolize and get rid of LDL cholesterol and other harmful forms of lipids.
Too little high-density lipoprotein (HDL, or "good" cholesterol) in your bloodstream can also increase your heart risk. That's because HDL cholesterol removes some of the bad low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol from the artery walls -- preventing or slowing the buildup of dangerous plaque. You want high levels of this "good" HDL to help keep your arteries clear -- and your heart protected.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
How can I increase my good cholesterol?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A combination of aerobic exercise, weight loss and diet changes works best to increase HDL choles...
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
The mistakes you make every day could be increasing your risk of heart disease.
What Is a High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL)?