Why is LDL cholesterol bad for my heart?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol causes plaque to build up inside your veins and arteries, reducing their inside diameter. That makes for traffic jams amongst your red blood cells. A total gridlock is called a blood clot, which is very, very bad news.

When a blood clot blocks an artery, the oxygen-carrying red blood cells can't get to their destinations. Like FedEx, when it absolutely, positively, has to be there overnight, blood cells really need to get the oxygen to all parts of the body on time. Without oxygen, cells quickly start to die. Dead cells don't grow back. If too many cells in your heart die, you'll follow suit.

Diabetes Warrior: Be your own knight in shining armor. How to stay healthy and happy with diabetes.

You survived the first year: now there is more to learn... Knights? Dragons? Diabetes?! Yep, armed with a wickedly sharp sense of humor and a medieval metaphor, Taming the Tiger author William Lee...

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
What are the sources of cholesterol?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Two main sources of cholesterol arefoods of animal origin (eggs, meat, chicken,etc.)  cholesterol th...
What to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
What to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
Strawberries, avocados and other tasty foods that help keep your numbers in check.
How Important Are Cholestrol Levels?
How Important Are Cholestrol Levels?