What lifestyle changes can help lower my cholesterol?

Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
The following are guidelines for Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC). These tips can help you make healthier food choices and lower your cholesterol.

Limit saturated fats and eliminate trans fat.
  • Foods high in saturated fats include marbled (fatty) meat, poultry skin, bacon, sausage, whole milk, cream, and butter.
  • Trans fats are found in stick margarine, shortening, some fried foods, and packaged foods made with hydrogenated oils.
  • If you eat these foods, have them only once in a while and in small amounts. Instead of butter or stick margarine, try reduced-fat, whipped, or liquid spreads.
Limit the amount of cholesterol that you eat to less than 200 milligrams (mg) per day.
  • Foods high in cholesterol include: egg yolks (one egg yolk has about 212 mg of cholesterol), fatty meat, whole milk, cheese, shrimp, lobster, and crab.
Eat more omega-3 fats (heart-healthy fats).
  • Aim to eat fish twice a week.
  • Coldwater, oily fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, and sardines are good sources of omega-3 fats.
  • Flaxseed is another source of omega-3 fats. Try flaxseed oil or ground flaxseed.
Get 20 to 30 grams of dietary fiber per day.
  • Aim for five cups of fruits and vegetables per day.
  • Have three ounces of whole-grain foods every day.
  • A good source of fiber has more than three grams of dietary fiber per serving.
Increase your physical activity.
  • Set a plan to get about 30 minutes of exercise on most days, then increase the routine to include some type of physical activity daily.
  • Physical activity will help increase your HDL, or "good" cholesterol.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
Should I still use my cholesterol drug if it has side effects?
MediGuardMediGuard
Most medications have benefits and risks. In the case of simvastatin and other cholesterol drugs the...
What to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
What to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
Strawberries, avocados and other tasty foods that help keep your numbers in check.
Pets Are Good for Kids' Health
Pets Are Good for Kids' Health