What may affect my LDL cholesterol goal?

There are several major risk factors that affect your low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol goal and will be considered when recommending a treatment plan. These are:
  • diabetes
  • kidney disease
  • coronary heart disease
  • peripheral vascular disease
  • presence of vascular disease
  • age (in general, the older you are, the more likely your healthcare professional will decide drug therapy is appropriate if your LDL cholesterol level is too high; for women, 55 is often the threshold age)
  • smoking (or daily exposure to secondhand smoke)
  • high blood pressure. The goal is less than 120/80 mm Hg for the general population, less than 140/90 mm Hg for people who have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and less than 130/80 mm Hg in people with kidney disease or diabetes.
  • low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (below 50 mg/dL for women)
  • family history of premature heart disease (heart disease in father or brother before age 55; heart disease in mother or sister before age 65)

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
What happens when LDL cholesterol levels go too low?
Some people can get too low a low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol level. If your LDL chole...
What to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
What to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
Strawberries, avocados and other tasty foods that help keep your numbers in check.
Add Pumpkin to Your Plate
Add Pumpkin to Your Plate