How can I improve my cholesterol levels?

Marcus J. Cox, MD
Improving cholesterol levels can be accomplished by quitting smoking, eating a healthy diet low in fat and cholesterol, exercising at least 30 minutes per day, and managing stress. Simple things such as snacking on nuts, using olive oil on your salad, nibbling on chocolate and having salmon for dinner can have positive effects on your cholesterol number. Having an occasional glass of red wine has also been shown to be beneficial.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Richard E. Browne, MD
You can improve your cholesterol levels by following a lower-fat, lower-cholesterol eating pattern, starting a program of regular physical activity, and keeping your weight at or near ideal. Your doctor may choose to prescribe medication to help control your cholesterol.
You want to lower your low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or “bad” cholesterol and raise your high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. You can lower LDL cholesterol by avoiding saturated and trans fats and consuming olive oil, canola oil and fish with omega-3 fatty acids. Exercise raises your HDL cholesterol.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
Is low cholesterol bad if I am obese?
Georgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DCGeorgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DC
The renowned Framingham cholesterol study revealed that not only was very high cholesterol bad for t...
What to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
What to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High CholesterolWhat to Eat if...You Have High Cholesterol
Strawberries, avocados and other tasty foods that help keep your numbers in check.
What Does My Total Cholesterol Ratio Mean?