Do I need cholesterol?

You do need cholesterol to help the cells work properly. It is rare to have a cholesterol level that is too low.
Cholesterol serves as a backbone for your cellular membrane. It sticks inside the cell wall, functioning as a support structure. Your body also uses the cholesterol molecule to make important hormones, like testosterone, estrogen, cortisol, and progesterone. Your digestive system also uses cholesterol to build bile acids, which help the body absorb fats and other important nutrients. (Your body does need some fat in order to survive.)

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
What is the evidence that cholesterol is bad for heart health?
Because researchers have noticed a correlation between elevated cholesterol levels and heart dis...
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
The mistakes you make every day could be increasing your risk of heart disease.
Enjoy a Pomegranate to Lower Blood Pressure