Do I need cholesterol?

You do need cholesterol to help the cells work properly. It is rare to have a cholesterol level that is too low.
Cholesterol serves as a backbone for your cellular membrane. It sticks inside the cell wall, functioning as a support structure. Your body also uses the cholesterol molecule to make important hormones, like testosterone, estrogen, cortisol, and progesterone. Your digestive system also uses cholesterol to build bile acids, which help the body absorb fats and other important nutrients. (Your body does need some fat in order to survive.)

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

FDA Approves Two New Drugs to Treat High Cholesterol
About 95 million Americans have high cholesterol, but only about 55 percent of those are being treated for it. High cholesterol raises your risk for h...
Should I be concerned if my LDL cholesterol level is below 70?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
You should celebrate, not worry, and keep doing what you are doing! An LDL (the so-called bad cho...
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
The mistakes you make every day could be increasing your risk of heart disease.
Pets Are Good for Kids' Health
Pets Are Good for Kids' Health