How is cholesterol used in the body?

Cholesterol is a form of fat that is carried through the body in two kinds of bundles, or lipoproteins. It's important to have healthy levels of both.

Low-density lipoproteins (LDL), or "bad" cholesterol, can lead to a buildup of cholesterol in the arteries. In general, the lower your LDL, the better. Reaching your LDL target is the most effective way to protect your heart and blood vessels.

High-density lipoproteins (HDL), or "good" cholesterol, helps remove cholesterol from your body. In general, the higher your HDL the better.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
What should be my daily dietary cholesterol intake?
You might think the key to lowering your blood cholesterol levels is to get dietary cholesterol ...
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
Skipping healthy fats? Staying too long at happy hour? These everyday slipups can sabotage your heart health.
What Foods Should I Eat to Lower My Cholesterol?