Should I still use my cholesterol drug if it has side effects?

Most medications have benefits and risks. In the case of simvastatin and other cholesterol drugs the benefits of reduced cholesterol and heart protection usually outweigh the small risk of side effects in most people. If you keep yourself updated, you will continue to receive any new safety information that comes out from the drug manufacturers, the FDA, and the medical literature. These safety alerts will provide you additional information about what the alert means and what you need to be concerned about.

Every drug has both good and bad aspects. If you have already tried dietary changes and added exercise, yet you still have elevated cholesterol, maybe it's time to try medication. That's a decision between you and your doctor. If you do take medication, follow your doctor's instructions to help avoid side effects.

Continue Learning about Cholesterol

My Cholesterol Levels Are Up—Do I Need to Take a Statin?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States, and high levels of unhealthy blood cholesterol can increase your risk o...
How does dietary cholesterol affect blood cholesterol?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Dietary cholesterol is found only in animal products such as eggs, meat, and butter and in high amou...
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Cholesterol Mistakes You're Probably Making
Skipping healthy fats? Staying too long at happy hour? These everyday slipups can sabotage your heart health.
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol