What is chloride?

Chloride is a mineral that is a key ingredient in several body fluids. It helps maintain fluid levels within cells, around cells and in blood. It may bond with other minerals, such as sodium (sodium chloride) or potassium (potassium chloride), or with elements such as hydrogen (hydrochloric acid). Chloride is found in foods, such as tomatoes, rye, salt and seaweed, and vegetables, such as olives, lettuce and celery. It is classified as an electrolyte. Chloride supplements are used to increase the amount of chloride in people with a deficiency.

Continue Learning about Chloride

What should I know before taking chloride?
There are certain precautions you should be aware of before taking chloride. An overdose that greatl...
How does chloride work?
Chloride is absorbed into blood and into the fluids in and around cells. It helps to regulate th...
What should I know about chloroprocaine before receiving it?
Chloroprocaine works in as little as six to twelve minutes. It lasts up to an hour, but this depends...
What is the best way to take chloride?
The best way to ingest chloride is naturally in your diet. You can find chloride in salt, tomatoes, ...