What is the basic principle of chiropractic treatments?

Denise Chranowski
Integrative Medicine
While many have believed in the 'bone out of place' theory of chiropractic, this is not really the mechanism of how chiropractic works. You have 24 moveable segments of the spine. You spine protects your spinal cord and your spinal cord connects to your brain. Your spinal cord and brain make up your central nervous system. Chiropractors by 'adjusting' the spine and it's segments ensure that each segment of the spine is moving well. There are tiny propreoceptive nerve fibers aka mechanoreceptors surrounding each joint in the spine. When you receive a chiropractic adjustment, the nerve fibers send signals up the spinal cord to the brain essentially saying 'all is good at this level.' Good movement equals good function and good function equals good health. That's why chiropractic isn't just a treatment of low back pain, but rather a way to keep the body moving and functioning well.

Continue Learning about Chiropractic Treatment

Should I see a chiropractor about my back pain?
Dr. Gerald M. SilvermanDr. Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic therapy is similar to physical therapy in its application of ultrasound, diathermy, ele...
How does chiropractic work?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Most chiropractors use one common procedure: the quick, but not forceful, recoil thrust. This th...
Is Chiropractic Care Effective?
Is Chiropractic Care Effective?
What Conditions Do Doctors of Chiropractic Treat?