Why is teething painful?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Teething is painful because the tooth has to push through the skin in order to come out. Even though we chew with our teeth, teeth really are not very sharp. In addition, the process can take a while.

Try giving your child something cold to chew on. If symptoms are too bad, you can even give a dose of Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) is better than acetaminophen (Tylenol) because it decreases inflammation.

You will often see bulging of the gums at the site where your baby's tooth is going to erupt. You may see it one day, but not the next day, because the teeth actually go up and down underneath the gums several times before they pop through, which is why it is such a painful process for a lot of infants.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I reduce my child's pain when losing a tooth?
There are several things that you can do to ease your child's pain when he or she loses a tooth. Som...
How can I talk to my child about losing his first tooth?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
Children will typically lose their first tooth between the ages of five and seven. Most children hav...