When should I call the doctor after my child has a dental procedure?

Call your doctor or nurse if your child has any of the following symptoms after a dental procedure:
  • Temperature over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Increased swelling
  • Bleeding that won't stop
  • Numbness of fingers and toes
  • Uncontrolled pain
  • Signs of dehydration (dry mouth, less than 6 to 8 wet diapers, lack of tears)
  • Excessive diarrhea or constipation
  • Chest pain or shortness of breath: Go to the emergency department or call 911!

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
What activities should my child avoid after mouth surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Mouth surgery may affect your child's coordination. He may feel dizzy or drowsy for the next day...
Does gingivitis affect children differently than adults?
Romesh NalliahRomesh Nalliah
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums in response to dental plaque and it can affect children an...