What should I bring to my child’s first dentist appointment?

Your child's first dental visit should be by the first birthday. This is generally a wellness checkup of your baby's mouth. You should bring a list of questions with you. Your dentist can answer these questions, as well as educate you on the best ways to keep your baby's mouth healthy. You may also want to bring a pen and paper to write down these tips and suggested products.

Aside from toys to keep your baby occupied in the waiting room, you don’t need to bring anything to your child’s first dentist appointment. Your dentist will provide any tools that are necessary to teach you how to care for your child’s new teeth. More than likely, the appointment will consist of a quick oral exam and a brief tutorial on brushing baby teeth and gums. Dentists generally recommend a soft toothbrush or a soft cloth with a little bit of water to keep baby teeth clean.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I prevent my child from getting cavities?
David W. Zirlin, DMDDavid W. Zirlin, DMD
A proper diet with good oral hygiene techniques and routine dental care from a dentist can help prev...
How can my child's behavior change after dental surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
It is very normal to see behavior changes after dental surgery. If the changes last longer than ...