What is a pediatric dentist?

Pediatric Dentistry is an age-defined specialty that provides both primary and comprehensive preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs.
A pediatric dentist is a specialist in the care of children and adolescents. They are dental school graduates who have spent at least another two years in specialty training.

Pediatric dentists may also care for children and teens with medical challenges that require that their care be provided in a hospital setting.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I help my child fear the dentist less?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The following are tips to encourage your child to go to the dentist:Schedule the first visit betwe...
What are the side effects of plaque on my child’s teeth?
The consequences of allowing this soft sticky, bacterial film to build up between the teeth are nume...