What happens during teething?

Teething is a normal process for every child. The first tooth usually grows in the lower jaw between the ages of 6 to 10 months. When a tooth is about to come through the gum, a small bump under the gum can be seen. You may notice that your baby drools a bit and chews a lot when the first tooth starts to grow.

First, the two bottom front teeth (central incisors) come in. Four to eight weeks later, the four upper teeth (central and lateral incisors) come in. A month later, the two lower incisors follow. The first molars (in the back of the mouth) arrive at around one year and can cause discomfort as they come in.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
How can I reduce my child's pain when losing a tooth?
There are several things that you can do to ease your child's pain when he or she loses a tooth. Som...
What activities should my child avoid after mouth surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Mouth surgery may affect your child's coordination. He may feel dizzy or drowsy for the next day...