What drinks should I avoid giving my child to prevent tooth decay?

Your child depends on you for good health. Do not let your child constantly sip on drinks with sugar in them because this promotes tooth decay. These drinks include milk and juice drinks. Offer these drinks only at mealtimes, when the mouth makes more saliva. This helps reduce the risk for tooth decay.

Keep in mind that young children eat more often than adults do. If your child is thirsty between meals, give him water in a cup. Do not give juices or soda in a bottle or a cup to calm a fussy baby.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I find a dentist for my child?
If your regular dentist isn’t great with kids, ask your pediatrician to recommend a pediatric dentis...
Does teeth grinding (bruxism) affect children differently than adults?
The symptoms of teeth grinding are the same in children as in adults. However, the reasons this diso...