What are some dental issues of special-needs children?

Some special children tend to have more tooth decay and gum disease. They may require medication or have a special diet that leads to tooth decay. If dental care is started early and followed regularly, many dental problems can be lessened or avoided.

Some children need more support to feel comfortable. A pediatric dentist can work with you to select a technique based on the specific healthcare needs of your child. Pediatric dentists have two more years of advanced training that focuses on children with special needs.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
When should I begin flossing my child's teeth?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
If your child's teeth are close together, then you should start trying to floss their teeth as soon ...
What dental problems are most likely to occur in my child?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cavities are most common among children. In fact it's more common than asthma. That's why it's impor...