How do I treat my child's mouth ulcer?

A mouth sore is a small ulcer that can appear inside your child's mouth. These sores are usually identified by their white or gray base and a red border. They are not contagious, but can return frequently. Canker sores usually heal on their own after a week or two but if your child is in pain, try rinsing the area with salt water and having him stick to a diet of soft foods until the area feels better.
Mouth ulcers are sores that can form inside your child's mouth and lips. They're often called cold sores or canker sores, and they can be painful. Often, they're caused by a virus such as the herpes simplex virus.

Talk to your child's dentist about how to treat mouth ulcers. The dentist may recommend medicines that you rub on the ulcers to relieve pain. If a virus is causing the sores, antiviral medicines can help.

Try to keep your child's mouth clean by brushing, flossing and rinsing with salt water. Don't give your child hot and spicy foods and drinks, since they can make a mouth ulcer even more painful.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Why should I have my child's teeth sealed?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
A dental sealant consists of a protective resin layer that is applied to the chewing surface of post...
How can I teach my child to brush to prevent gum disease and recession?
Children should brush for two to three minutes each time. Some hints to help them develop proper bru...