Should I consult my child's doctor about teething?

Yes, you can talk to your child's doctor about what to expect when your child teethes. He or she can give you good ideas on how to deal with your child's symptoms.
Teething is a normal part of development but as their teeth erupt, some babies may become fussy, sleepless and irritable, lose their appetite or drool more than usual. Diarrhea, rashes and a fever are not normal for a teething baby. If your infant has a fever or diarrhea while teething or continues to be cranky and uncomfortable, call your physician.
In most cases, you do not need to contact a dentist or physician about teething. Because teething is a natural part of growth and development, your child's body is well equipped to handle the rigors of the process. Most remedies to relieve pain from teething do not require a prescription. Use your best judgment, however; if your child’s pain seems unusual or you read a temperature of greater than 100 degrees F, see a dentist or physician.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Why should I have my child's teeth sealed?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
A dental sealant consists of a protective resin layer that is applied to the chewing surface of post...
How should I floss my child's teeth?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The age, type of teeth (primary or permanent) and the placement of those teeth will help determine h...