Should my child use fluoride toothpaste?

You child should begin using fluoridated toothpaste once old enough to spit out the toothpaste. This is typically around age 2. The fluoride in toothpaste helps prevent tooth decay and has been shown to be safe and effective for both children and adults.
Fluoridated toothpaste does prevent dental caries or cavities. So you should use fluoridated toothpaste for your children. However, small children are more apt to swallow the toothpaste while they're brushing their teeth than older children. So you should start with a toothpaste that does not have fluoride, and when your baby, or your infant, I should say, consistently is able to spit the toothpaste out when you brush their teeth and not swallow it, then you can change over to the fluoridated toothpaste. That's about 2 years old.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
How can I prepare my child for losing his baby teeth?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
Losing teeth is an important milestone in a child’s life. The process of shedding baby teeth is part...
When can I expect my child's permanent (adult) teeth to begin showing?
Marvin D. Berman, MDMarvin D. Berman, MD
Dr. De Vizio's answer is correct. One interesting note:Often the first permanent teeth to erupt (com...