If my child is going to lose his or her baby teeth, do cavities matter?

Mary J. Hayes, DDS
Pediatric Dentistry

The baby teeth are the pattern for the permanent teeth:

1. Early loss of baby teeth can cause a shift in the way the permanent teeth erupt later. Baby molars don't normally come out till age 11-14: that's a long time they are there to aid in the child's natural growth and development. 
  2. Decayed baby teeth will set up the permanent teeth to also become decayed. The bacteria that cause decay start on one tooth and migrate to others. Between 6 and 14, a child has a mixed dentition: about half baby and permanent teeth. Both need to be cavity free to protect the child's smile, not to mention ability to eat without pain.
Your child's baby teeth are important. Children need strong, healthy teeth to chew their food, speak and have a good-looking smile. Baby teeth also keep a space in the jaw for the adult teeth. If a baby tooth is lost too early, the teeth beside it may drift into the empty space. When it's time for the adult teeth to come in, there may not be enough room. This can make the teeth crooked or crowded.

Starting infants off with good oral care can help protect their teeth for decades to come.

Even with baby teeth, cavities can cause problems. In the short term, cavities can cause your child pain and may develop into infections that can even be life-threatening. Long-term issues can also occur. Baby teeth allow room for the development of permanent (adult) teeth. Losing them early to decay can cause unwanted shifting of the teeth, and adult teeth may not erupt into their proper position. This can in turn cause problems with the bite and could cause problems with chewing or speaking properly.

Picture of brushing teeth

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
What should I do if my child loses a permanent tooth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A baby tooth should not be implanted back in the mouth, but a permanent tooth should. Hold the t...
How can I help prevent tooth decay in my child?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
You can help prevent tooth decay in your child by monitoring or assisting with their twice-daily bru...