How can I protect my children from cheilitis?

Cheilitis is the term used to describe chapped lips. It can be caused by several things including poor nutrition, sun exposure, allergies and excessive licking or picking at the lips. You can help protect your child from getting extremely chapped lips by limiting exposure to the sun and by encouraging them not to pick at their mouths.

You can help protect your kids from cheilitis by reminding them not to lick or irritate the corners of their mouths. Cheilitis, signaled by swelling and cracking at the corners of the mouth, is caused by a type of yeast called Candida. This type of yeast thrive in moist areas, so they tend to collect at the corners of the mouth when it is wet from saliva. The good news is that your children probably aren't at high risk for cheilitis, unless they have an immune system problem or other health condition such as diabetes or anemia. People whose immune systems can't fight off the yeast are more likely to get cheilitis.

If a child can stop licking or irritating the corners of her mouth, the cheilitis should go away.

The type of cheilitis you want to protect your child from the most is actinic cheilitis. This is one of the easier types to prevent because sunscreen contained in lip balm will protect your child from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. These rays are what cause actinic cheilitis and although in its early stages it is not very serious, it can evolve into squamous cell carcinoma. Do your best in protecting your children from the sun by using at least a sun protecting factor (SPF) of 15.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Why should I let my child's teeth fall out on their own?
Megan  Chin, DDSMegan Chin, DDS
Encourage your child to gently push a loose tooth with his finger or tongue. You don’t want to prema...
Why should mothers have their children routinely see the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Teaching your child good oral hygiene habits early can lead to a lifetime of good dental health. The...