How can I protect my children from cheilitis?

The type of cheilitis you want to protect your child from the most is actinic cheilitis. This is one of the easier types to prevent because sunscreen contained in lip balm will protect your child from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. These rays are what cause actinic cheilitis and although in its early stages it is not very serious, it can evolve into squamous cell carcinoma. Do your best in protecting your children from the sun by using at least a sun protecting factor (SPF) of 15.

You can help protect your kids from cheilitis by reminding them not to lick or irritate the corners of their mouths. Cheilitis, signaled by swelling and cracking at the corners of the mouth, is caused by a type of yeast called Candida. This type of yeast thrive in moist areas, so they tend to collect at the corners of the mouth when it is wet from saliva. The good news is that your children probably aren't at high risk for cheilitis, unless they have an immune system problem or other health condition such as diabetes or anemia. People whose immune systems can't fight off the yeast are more likely to get cheilitis.

If a child can stop licking or irritating the corners of her mouth, the cheilitis should go away.

Cheilitis is the term used to describe chapped lips. It can be caused by several things including poor nutrition, sun exposure, allergies and excessive licking or picking at the lips. You can help protect your child from getting extremely chapped lips by limiting exposure to the sun and by encouraging them not to pick at their mouths.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
What should I do if my child's tooth gets knocked out?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A baby tooth should not be implanted back in the mouth, but a permanent tooth should. Hold the tooth...
What are the signs of tooth erosion in children?
Tooth erosion symptoms include sensitive teeth or tooth pain, teeth with rough or cracked edges and ...