How can I tell if my child is drinking enough after a dental procedure?

After a dental procedure, your child may have low body fluids. Some signs of not having enough to drink include dark yellow urine, a dry mouth (no spit), chapped lips, and the soft spot on your baby's head sinking inwards. If you notice any of these, give your child more to drink. She should urinate (pee) normally within 24 hours after the procedure. A baby should have six to eight wet diapers in a 24-hour period. An older child should urinate every 6 to 8 hours. It is very important to have your child drink a small amount of fluid every 15 to 30 minutes while he is awake to prevent dehydration.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
What are the side effects of plaque on my child’s teeth?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Cavities and gingivitis are the side effects of plaque on your child's teeth. Plaque are bacteria in...
How should my kids brush their teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Younger children (8 and under) should make sure they learn to brush well first, before introducing f...