Does fissured tongue affect children differently than adults?

Fissured tongue affects adults and children in similar ways. The condition causes grooves to develop in the tongue, making the tongue look wrinkled. Sometimes, if the grooves are deep enough, adults and children may get a burning sensation when they eat certain spicy or acidic foods. This is fairly rare, however. If the grooves are deep enough, bacteria or bits of food can get inside the grooves, leading to bad breath or fungal infections of the tongue.

Fissured tongue may be present at birth or during early childhood, but symptoms may be mild or nonexistent. Symptoms may develop or increase as an individual grows older. Age, therefore, is considered a risk factor for fissured tongue.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
How do I treat my child's mouth ulcer?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A mouth sore is a small ulcer that can appear inside your child's mouth. These sores are usually ide...
What should I do if my child loses a permanent tooth?
A baby tooth should not be implanted back in the mouth, but a permanent tooth should. Hold the t...