Does temporomandibular disorder affect children differently than adults?

Temporomandibular disorder (TMD), is a general term for conditions affecting the joint that connects the mandible (upper jaw) and the skull. TMD is more common in adults than children. However, kids can develop TMD if they fall and hit their chins, or if they have bad habits like clenching their jaws or gritting their teeth. If your child says he's  experiencing a popping or clicking feeling in the jaw while chewing, or has difficulty chewing, he may have TMD. 

The symptoms of temporomandibular disorders do not differ between children and adults. However, this group of disorders is less prevalent in children. Women primarily between the ages of 30 and 50 are the largest group impacted by TMD.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
What should I do if my child loses a permanent tooth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A baby tooth should not be implanted back in the mouth, but a permanent tooth should. Hold the t...
Does my child need to see a pediatric dentist?
Most general dentists also treat children and your child could see the same dentist you see. How...