Does dry mouth affect children differently than adults?

Dry mouth affects children and adults in similar ways. However, dry mouth is more likely to occur in adults and is rare in children. In both children and in adults, dry mouth can cause difficulties in tasting, chewing, swallowing, and speaking. Dry mouth can increase the risk of cavities in the teeth or mouth infections in both children and adults.

Dry mouth, or xerostomia, does not affect children differently than adults. However, chronic dry mouth is prevalent in adults for many different reasons. Certain medications, lifestyle choices, and age all lead to dry mouth, making dry mouth much more common among adults.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
What are the side effects of plaque on my child’s teeth?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Cavities and gingivitis are the side effects of plaque on your child's teeth. Plaque are bacteria in...
When can my child start brushing and flossing his own teeth?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Your children should learn to care for their teeth at a young age in order to make it a habit. They ...