When can I expect my child's permanent (adult) teeth to begin showing?

Your child's permanent teeth, sometimes referred to as secondary teeth or adult teeth, usually arrive between the ages of six and seven. It is not uncommon for them to come in earlier or later than this, though.
Marvin D. Berman, MD
Gastroenterology

Dr. De Vizio's answer is correct. One interesting note:

Often the first permanent teeth to erupt (come in the mouth) are the 6-year molars in the back of the mouth. They come in behind all the teeth. Many parents are not aware of the new teeth being there since they're waiting for that magical time when the baby teeth in front get loose and the new teeth arrive. Surprise! Surprise!

Teeth vary in size, shape and location in the jaws. These differences enable them to work together to help you chew, speak and smile. When a baby is born, the 20 primary teeth are already present in the jaw.

As a child gets older, the 20 baby teeth will be replaced by 32 permanent teeth. The first permanent molars usually emerge between ages six and seven and are sometimes referred to as six-year molars. By age 21, all 32 of the permanent teeth have usually erupted.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
What steps can I take to help maintain my child's healthy teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Children need strong, healthy teeth to chew their food, speak and have a good-looking smile. The ...
Does Hunter's glossitis affect children differently than adults?
Hunter's glossitis usually affects both children and adults similarly. If your child experiences any...