Is a child's crown usually made of stainless steel?

Yes, a stainless steel crown is commonly used for the back baby teeth (molars) of children. Crowns made for the baby teeth in the front of the mouth (incisors) are usually made of a tooth-colored material called composite.

Most crowns placed on children’s primary teeth are made of stainless steel. The crowns, also called caps, cover the entire tooth and are used to protect baby teeth that are badly decayed. If the damaged teeth are left unprotected, decay can spread in the mouth. Protecting the baby teeth until they fall out naturally allows for proper speech development, and helps guide the permanent teeth into position.

A stainless steel crown is durable and relatively easy to place on a child's tooth. Researchers have found that stainless steel crowns need to be replaced less often than amalgam crowns, which contain a mix of metals.

If you have questions about what type of crown is best for your child, talk to a dentist.

If your child needs a crown for one of his baby teeth, your dentist will most likely use a stainless steel crown. That's because stainless steel crowns are very durable and can help keep your child's bite in line while the mouth develops. Crowns such as these can help provide foundation in the mouth and ensure that your child has functionality when speaking and eating.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I find a dentist for my child?
If your regular dentist isn’t great with kids, ask your pediatrician to recommend a pediatric dentis...
Should my child use fluoride toothpaste?
Woodrow C. Marriott, MDWoodrow C. Marriott, MD
Fluoridated toothpaste does prevent dental caries or cavities. So you should use fluoridated too...