Should I be worried if my baby has not started teething at one year?

Although newborns usually have no visible teeth, most have at least a partially developed set of primary (baby) teeth, which begin to appear generally about six months after birth. During the first few years of life, all 20 of the primary teeth will erupt through the gums. Most children have their full set of primary teeth in place by age three. Talk to your physician if you are worried that your child has not developed any teeth by age one.

Teething typically occurs around six months of age, but many children do not get their first teeth until significantly later. Delayed teething is often nothing to worry about.  THere is  some evidence that teething is determined by heredity, so if you or your partner began teething late, there is a chance that your child will too. See your dentist if you are concerned about your child’s progress.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
If my child is going to lose his or her baby teeth, do cavities matter?
Mary J. Hayes, DDSMary J. Hayes, DDS
The baby teeth are the pattern for the permanent teeth:Early loss of baby teeth can cause a shift in...
How will I know if my child should see an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
There are two main ways that you'll know if your child should see an orthodontist. First, if you not...