Are children at risk for burning mouth syndrome?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Children have not been diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia). Most people with the disease are over 50 years of age. Burning mouth syndrome is rare in anyone under 30 years of age.

Children are not at risk for burning mouth syndrome, a condition that occurs most often in people between the ages of 50 and 70 (and more often in women than men). Those who experience the syndrome, also called glossodynia (tongue pain) and stomatodynia (mouth pain), feel a burning or scalding sensation on the lips and tongue, as well as sometimes inside the mouth.
Burning mouth syndrome rarely manifests before the age of 30. It is typically more common in women during menopause. Children are not at risk for this problem.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
How can I find a dentist for my child?
If your regular dentist isn’t great with kids, ask your pediatrician to recommend a pediatric dentis...
How can I tell if my child is drinking enough after a dental procedure?
Heath A. Cobb, MDHeath A. Cobb, MD
After a dental procedure, your child may have low body fluids. Some signs of not having enough to dr...