Does ageusia affect children differently than adults?

Ageusia means losing your sense of taste. Although the symptom is the same no matter what your age, the causes of ageusia may be different in children than in adults. In older people, medications or conditions such as Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease may damage the nerves that transmit taste signals to the brain. In children, infection or injury to the taste buds may be to blame. Although the condition is rare, ageusia is potentially dangerous, since it impairs a person's ability to detect that food has spoiled. 

Ageusia is a complete loss of the sense of taste. There is no evidence to suggest that ageusia affects children differently than adults. It is very rare to be born with this condition. The gradual weakening of the sense of taste increases in people older than 50.

Continue Learning about Children's Oral Health

Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
Ask the Expert: Dental Tips for Kids
The first smile ... the first tooth ... the first time the baby happily noshes away on his morning oatmeal. All of these are lovely milestones that pa...
Avoid These Toxins to Protect Your Child's Teeth
The WBA heavyweight title fight in June, 1997 will always be referred to as “The Bite Fight,” because Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s e...
How can I get my child to brush his teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are several ways you can entice your child to want to brush his or her teeth. One way is to br...
How can I reduce my child's pain when losing a tooth?
There are several things that you can do to ease your child's pain when he or she loses a tooth. Som...