Why do some children become violent?

Michele Borba
There is no simple answer as to why our kids become violent, but we do know that children are capable of violent acts. It is a sad truth we must admit. Keep in mind that a child rarely "snaps" overnight. Instead, there is a slow, disturbing trajectory in which the child adopts a view that "violence" is acceptable and there are no other options. There is also a "risk build-up" factor involved in violence. Rarely does one bad event cause a child to be suicidal or homicidal. The steady build-up of those risks (such as the bullying, the peer rejection, the bad home, the school failure, etc.) without anyone replacing the risk with something positive is what causes the final violent act.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Children's Emotional Health

What makes kids happy?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Compelling research now proves that the happiest children are the ones who feel a sense of appre...
Should I tell my son's school about his emotional health?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Absolutely, tell the school -- kids with different needs require different solutions. Not only does ...
How Can My Child or Teen Take Control of His Emotions?
What Harm Can Sexualization of Young Girls Cause?